print_label | resize_label

Financial support

Facing a diagnosis of prostate cancer can be worrying enough. Having to worry about money at this emotional time can cause additional strain. Additional money may be needed to pay for hospital trips, car parking, travel and heating at home and at the same time for those still of working age, their ability to earn may be reduced. Thankfully there are many sources of help.

Sick pay

Employees should be able to get sick pay for up to 28 weeks. Not everyone qualifies, so it is best to check your entitlement with both the Human Resources (Personnel) department at your company and with the government website Those unable to get sick pay can claim for Employment and Support Allowance.


There are many benefits that cancer patients may be entitled to receive, such as ‘disability living allowance’, ‘attendance allowance‘ and ‘incapacity benefit’. Advice on benefits can be obtained from the hospital or community social worker, the Citizens Advice Bureau or the Department for Work and Pensions website To find out which benefits you are entitled to receive call the benefit enquiry line. Freephone 0800 882 200.


Some organisations, including Macmillan Cancer Care provide grants for people with cancer. More information on obtaining grants can be found on the Macmillan website


It may be worth contacting an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) who will be able to assess the overall financial situation, discuss options and provide advice on many aspects of financial management including mortgages, life insurance and pensions. To find an IFA in your area visit

Dealing with debt

For free and independent advice on dealing with debt call the National Debtline 0808 808 4000.

N.B. AstraZeneca do not own the content of this helpline.

GB-6242. Date of Preparation: Sept 2017